For people who are quite new at grab bar installation options, there are hundreds of types of products on the market besides your standard, straight bar. Grab bars have greatly expanded in availability, shape, and material in order to better fit the needs of an individual as well as their homes. Let’s take a look at the following list of example grab bars that can be purchased online. Each item includes a short review of the product as well as a few pros and cons about each grab bar. Please remember that some of these items should be examined by a doctor, medical equipment provider, therapist, and/or a contractor prior to installation. That way, immediate purchase will be less a likely a waste of money and effort:
- Moen YG0418CH Align 18 in. Designer Grab Bar, Chrome
- Supports up to 500 lbs.
- 1.25" bar diameter
- Corrosion resistant
- Complies with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) specifications
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
This is just your typical, straight 18-inch grab bar which makes for simple installation into the wall studs.
Pros: The bar is sturdy and ADA (American Disabilities Act) compliant, which typically translates into being compliant for other international accessibility laws. The chrome finish allows for longer-lasting material with a less likelihood of rust and corrosion, which is especially useful in a wet or humid bathroom. If installed correctly, the bar can withstand up to a 500-lbs weight capacity.
Cons: It is still an online purchase, which means you would be responsible for hiring your own contractor if you do not know how to safely install one. A chrome finish can be slippery and provides very little dexterity for a user with decreased sensation in their hands.
- Shower Handles Sturdy Set of 2 Suction Grab Bars Bathroom Bath Tub Portable Safety Child Adult Senior Balance Assistance
- GRAB BARS FOR BATHTUBS & SHOWER: These suction shower bar handles are designed for support only. Ribbed-grip handles means your hands won't slip even when wet. Each grab bar measures 11 ½ inches from end to end, each cup measures 3 ¾ inches. There is a 4 ¼ inch distance between each cup. Please measure and check your surface type prior to purchase to avoid returns!
- SURFACE TYPE REQUIREMENTS - Shower grab bars are easy to install on the right type of surface and are designed for easy portability. The suction cup design will only work on surfaces that are at least 4 ½ x 4 ½ inches - so that each cup sits on a completely flat non-porous surface. Any interruption in the cup suction will cause the cup not to adhere properly. Avoid returns by checking your measurement and surface type prior to purchase.
- PORTABLE SUCTION SHOWER HANDLES: EzOne SHOWER GRAB BARS are designed for balance without the need for hardware. They are NOT designed to hold your full weight -only use for balance. Installation is easy! Clean surface, lift both tabs and while pressing down on the handle close each tab ensuring the green indicator tab is visible. If the red indication tab continues to stay visible - run the suction cup under hot water to get it pliable and try again.
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION - EzOne Grab Bars for Bathtubs and Shower are sturdy and comes as a set of two. Because they are suction cups they will ONLY grip to a shower/tub smooth surfaces, hot tubs, pools, glass, mirrors, etc. - with no interruption of grout lines, bumps or curves & will provide a strong suction if properly installed. They will not adhere to any surface that is not completely flat as the cups have to be able to secure the suction. Always check your handles prior to use.
- ADD ONE TO YOUR CART TODAY - These grab bars are perfect for many other uses, pools, hot tubs, mirrors, even car windows to help you grab on when getting in and out of the car! Please make sure that you check your surface type and measurements prior to purchasing.
It is basically a plastic grab bar with suction cups at both ends which can be securely placed on smooth surfaces in a shower stall.
Pros: Caregivers are free of any professional installation or extra financial concerns when paying for installation parts and contractors. You can install the bars at any angle or height desired by the individual using the bars.
Cons: Caregivers are limited by what kind of surfaces the bar will stick to. In this case, the cups are designed to suction to smooth shower stalls and not tiles or dry walls. The weight capacity is not mentioned for this product, and it is extremely important that caregivers know the capacity since the design is a temporary suction stick. Lastly, the bar is a smooth plastic providing very limited dexterity for grips (which is a problem is the shower because hands get slippery and wet).
- Medline 12 Inch Grab Bar, Knurled Chrome
- Knurled-texture steel bars are easy to grip even in wet bathing areas
- Use grab bars in the kitchen, along stairways, or in the laundry room for additional fall prevention
- Combine grab bars with an elevated toilet seat or transfer bench for additional stability
The 12-inch bar is just a smaller version of a standard, straight grab bar.
Pros: The bar is smaller than other grab bars, which gives caregivers some flexibility about where it can be installed in the house. The knurled chrome effect offers a textured grip for individuals with decreased sensation in their hands or for wet areas such as the bathroom. The bar can be installed vertically or horizontally depending on what kind of leverage the individual is looking for.
Cons: It requires full installation into wall studs, which can be done by the caregiver or by a hired contractor.
4. Moen R8960FD 30-Inch Flip-Up Bathroom Grab Bar, Stainless
- SAFETY GRAB BAR: Perfect for small spaces, let this grab bar assist your balance in the bathroom or easily flip it up when not in use
- STAINLESS STEEL: The corrosion resistant stainless steel bathroom grab bar is designed to seamlessly fit in with your other bathroom finishes
- ALL AGES: From elderly care to children, let this grab bar for the bathroom help with stability while your showering, bathing or using the toilet
- WARRANTY: Manufactured under the highest standards and workmanship, this balance assist bar is backed by Moen's Limited Lifetime Warranty just in case something goes wrong
This is a bar that is installed into the wall with a flip feature so that users can flip it up and out of the way when it’s not being used.
Pros: A flip-up bar is very convenient for bathrooms that have small spaces. The flip-down feature, if placed in the wall correctly, can cross over the users’ front allowing for both hands to pull up on. This specific flip-up bar can tolerate up to a 300-lb weight capacity.
Cons: Young children love flip-up bars in a bad way such as treating them like monkey bars and compromising the wall installation. 300-lbs is less than what a straight grab bar can tolerate, which severely limits an obese individual’s market choice. The flip-up feature has been known to swing away from individuals if parts get old or malfunction, which presents a huge fall risk.
5. Medline Bathtub Bar, Locks to Side of Tub
- Medline Bathtub Grab Bar has a step-through clamp on design that provides unobstructed entry and exit path for better hand positioning to assit
- Bath tub rail provides stability getting in and out of the tub | Great for elderly, seniors or after surgery
- Stainless steel components with rubber-lined pads protect walls of bath tub
- Safety handle adjust to fit tubs 2.75 - 6.25 inches
- Bathtub assist rail features tool-free installation
This bar is a tool-free mount that can be temporarily installed to a standard tub wall with rubber-lined clasps.
Pros: The mount requires no drilling or professional installation. It can be easily removed and replaced at any length of the tub wall. A grab bar like this is especially helpful for elderly persons who absolutely refuse to give up their soak time in the hot tub.
Cons: It is specifically designed for the tub wall only, which limits the flexibility in installing it anywhere else in the bathroom. The mount can only tolerate 250 lbs of pressure. If the bar is not safely placed (especially for a user who has cognitive or visual impairments), it can easily become a tripping hazard for when they step over the tub wall.
6. Moen 8994 24-Inch by 36-Inch L-Shaped Bathroom Grab Bar, Peened
- 24-by-36-inch L-shaped bathroom grab bar supports up to 500 lbs.
- SecureMount design for easy, secure installation
- Durable stainless steel construction in a peened finish provides attractive, slip-resistant surface
- Complies with ADA specifications
- Backed by Moen's Limited Lifetime Warranty
Any L-shaped bar provides a multi-surface option for persons to pull up into standing from a seated surface.
Pros: This specific L-shaped bar can tolerate up to 500 lbs of pressure. It also follows ADA regulations and provides a peened finish for a textured, easy-to-grip surface. It provides for multiple places to grab for standing and sitting support.
Cons: It’s huge! The 24-inch by 36-inch bar presents problems with limited installation. The bathroom, kitchen, or shower space needs to be big enough to support the length. This bar also appears to only install horizontally. Once again, a bar like this may require some professional installation.
Before purchasing any grab bars online, thoroughly measure the installation space and consult with an installation specialist regarding measurements and stud placements. It is also essential to study the user’s individual needs and whether or not they will benefit from the types of grab bars you plan on purchasing.