Have you ever had to use crutches? You may have felt they were uncomfortable but today’s are much better than the ones from a few years ago. Notwithstanding the latest crutches in this best crutches guide, crutches themselves have been around for a very long time. In fact, there isn’t a record of when they started using some form of a crutch except that they are believed to have been used in Biblical times. Artifacts show the first ones to have been in a T-shape that later developed into a V-shape similar to what we still use today. The early crutches were hand carved out of hardwood without any padding but as time went by a more comfortable model was designed for people who could afford them.
In 1917, Emile Schlick was the first to have a patented crutch put into commercial production. Then in 1919, George Hippiwood patented a rubber tip, which could be attached to the end of the crutch. He also designed adjustable underarm supports that are still being used today. Not much later, A.R. Lofstrand Jr., patented a forearm bearing crutch that is still used today that allowed the forearm to take up the support, which was beneficial to people with arthritis and offered more stability on uneven ground.
What Are Crutches?
A crutch transfers the body’s weight from the legs to the upper body used by someone who cannot use one leg so cannot support their full weight on both legs due to injuries, surgeries or some sort of disability. Within this best crutches guide are four types of crutches including:
- Underarm or axilla type mostly used for patients with a temporary ambulatory restriction
- Forearm or Lofstrand type that is used by placing the arm into a cuff and holding the grip
- Platform type where the arm rests on a horizontal platform that are strapped on
- Leg support type used for injuries to one lower leg only and having the affected leg strapped into a support frame that holds the leg clear of the ground and transferring the weight to the user’s knee or thigh.
Reviews Of Crutches
This best crutches guide describes and reviews the following different types of crutches available so that you can find the crutches that work the best for you or your loved ones. After the crutches that are listed in this best crutches guide, there are crutch accessories listed for you to further tailor your use of these indispensable mobility aids.
iWALK 2.0 Hands Free Crutch
The iWALK 2.0 made by iWALKFree is redefined mobility and possibly the future of mobility, all in the shape of crutches. It is a leg support type of crutch that is only meant for below the knee non-weight bearing injuries. They have the wonderful feature of being hands-free and pain-free without needing to use the underarms. It has easily adjustable fabric straps with padding that is comfortable with quick on/off buckles that you can order separately if it wears out or you lose it. It has an ergonomically shaped knee platform that is padded, push button height adjustments, and foot tread that is replaceable. It can convert from left to right leg easily and it has tool-free assembly and adjustment.
The iWALK 2.0 will fit if you are between 5’1” and 6’2” but if you are less than 5’1” or more than 6’2,” there may be a chance that it will not work for you but you can go to their website to help you out or call the technical support hotline for solutions. Your leg will need to be an overall length of a minimum of 25.75 inches to a maximum of 38 inches. The upper leg above the knee should be a minimum of 12 inches to a maximum of 18 inches and the lower leg length needs to be a minimum of 13.75 inches to a maximum of 20 inches.
You will enjoy the feeling of independence that you get while using iWALKFree’s iWALK 2.0 Hands Free Crutch. You can do the things you’re used to doing like walking the dog, pushing a shopping cart, cooking, and even going back to work. There are some requirements that you must meet before you’re allowed to use these crutches. You need to weigh less than 275 pounds. You have to be able to walk fluidly up and down a flight of stair at normal walking pace before your injury and you should be able to balance on one foot for at least 30 seconds. If you do not meet the requirements, the iWALK is not for you.
- CAN YOU USE IWALK2.0? – Let’s find out! BEFORE YOU BUY, scroll down to the PRODUCT DESCRIPTION section and read ALL QUALIFICATIONS of our hands free crutch.
- WILL IT FIT? AGE LIMITS? PLUS SIZE? - Read the PRODUCT DESCRIPTION section for all knee crutch requirements BEFORE you buy.
- BETTER THAN CRUTCHES OR KNEE SCOOTERS – Safe, stable, hands free / pain free mobility. Why use crutches for walking when you can iWALK instead?
- READ THE ENTIRE LISTING – iWALK2.0 works for most healthy adults and children between 4’10” and 6’6”. See ALL requirements in the PRODUCT DESCRIPTION section below.
- SO MANY BENEFITS – Scroll down to PRODUCT INFORMATION section to see all the BENEFITS of iWALK2.0 hands free crutches.
Hugo Mobility 721-785 Hugo Lightweight Adjustable Aluminum Crutches, Medium Adult
Hugo Lightweight Adjustable Aluminum Crutches are made from lightweight anodized aluminum, which makes them lighter than wood and able to support up to 300 pounds. This pair of Hugo Lightweights are medium adult size with dual push-button adjustments and can be used by someone from 5’2” to 5’10.” The handle height adjustments from handle to floor are 3’8” to 4’4.” Hugo Lightweights have contoured crutch tips with a curved stair deflector at the tip that provides exceptional traction and they have a built-in metal ring that protects against wear. They have thick underarm pads that are cushioned for comfort. They have washable hand grips that are made of natural sponge to absorb impact and are resistant to perspiration. They weigh only four pounds.
- These crutches are lighter than wood and are manufactured from lightweight anodized aluminum, supporting up to 300 lbs
- Hugo medium adult size, adjustable crutches can accommodate a user height of 5' 2" to 5' 10" and feature dual push-button adjustments
- Contoured crutch tips that feature a curved stair deflector at their tip, provide exceptional traction while a built in metal ring protects against premature wear
- Hugo Crutches feature thick cushioned underarm pads. Integrated metal ring prevents premature wear
- Washable hand grips made from a natural sponge cushioning absorb impact shock and are perspiration resistant
Cardinal Health CA901AD Axillary Crutch Adult, Height 62-70, Adjustable
The Cardinal Health Axillary Crutch has the solution to being uncomfortable within a few days on crutches—armpit and hand padding of foam rubber with Thermoplastic Rubber. Thermoplastic Rubber is a synthetic blend that is softer, lasts longer, and it resists peeling or cracking. They are adult crutches that are lightweight and easily adjustable with push buttons and can be used for those who are 5’2” to 5’10” tall. They have a weight capacity of up to 300 pounds.
Carex Folding Crutches, 5 Pounds for Pair
The Carex crutches made by Carex Health Brands fold in half to be convenient and portable. When folded they fit for easy storage or transport under a car seat, dining room table or even in an overhead compartment. These Carex crutches will keep you from struggling with awkward full length crutches, especially when travelling. To fold them in half, you push in the pop pin, rotate and pull down to remove the bottom part of the crutch, then open until flat sections click into place. They adjust quickly so they can be used for either adult or youth from 4’11” to 6’4” (41” to 58”) in height. They feature comfort grips and pads in a sporty blue color and weigh only 4.5 pounds. The weight capacity is 250 pounds.
- FOLDABLE CRUTCHES: Features a convenient folding system to allow crutches to be easily stored. Crutches for kids, adult, and tall users. Height adjusts easily for those 4'11" - 6'4" (41" - 58") . Comes with sporty blue crutch pads and grips. 2 crutches included.
- TRAVEL EASILY: Crutches fold up easily, perfect for traveling or taking on an airplane. Crutches fit easily for storage in the airplane overhead compartment once folded up. No more struggling with large, bulky, full length cruches.
- LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM: Crutches for walking are made of aluminum and support people up to 250lbs in weight. Lighter than wood crutches, these crutches are strong, durable, and great for those who don't want to lug around heavy wooden crutches.
- COMFORTABLE CRUTCHES: Foldable underarm crutches that provide comfort while walking for adults or kids. Cruches have thick underarm pads for added comfort.
- VERY LIGHT: Crutches are durable yet lightweight. Crutches only weigh 4.5lbs. Perfect for children(4’11”+) or adults(6’4” or less).
Medline MDS805161 Aluminum Forearm Crutches, Adult, Pack of 2
These Medline crutches are recommended for adult long-term disabilities. They are built to be long-lasting and sturdy made out of high-strength, heavy-wall aluminum tubing with black components to hide any signs of wear or scratches. The telescoping parts are made with internal bushing and external lock nuts that make them work silently. They have vinyl-coated, contoured, and tapered arm cuffs. The tall adult size will fit users from 5’10” to 6’6”, regular adult size from 5’0” to 6’2”, and youth size from 4’2” to 5’2” in height. They all have a 250-pound weight capacity.
- Telescoping parts are manufactured with internal bushings and external lock nuts to provide totally silent usage
- Vinyl-coated, tapered, contoured arm cuffs
- Heavy-wall, high-strength aluminum tubing
- Black components hide signs of wear and scratches;Height Range: 5 - 6'2(Inches)
- Tall Adult has a 250-lb. weight capacity, Patient height, 5'10"-6'6"; Adult has a 250-lb. weight capacity, Patient height, 5'0"-6'2"; Youth has a 250-lb. weight capacity, Patient height, 4'2"-5'2"
Mobility Designed Hands-Free Ergonomic Crutches (1 pair)
The Mobility Designed Hands-Free Ergonomic Crutches are made by M & D Crutch and eliminate the pressure that standard and forearm crutches put on the armpits, wrists, and hands by putting the pressure on the elbows. They free the hands up for other things with a hinged arm cradle that can be unlocked and a hand grip that rotates out of the way. They can be made to fit you with their adjustable to fit feature that fits from 4’11” to 6’8” in height. The cradle length is also adjustable and has flexible armbands that support you while making it easy to get in and out of the crutches. The Grip the Earth feature absorbs some of the shock of each step due to the shape and material of the M&D Crutch foot that conforms to the ground. The tips are easily interchangeable. The M&D Crutch is ergonomically designed with color coding and has a Braille dot so that you can feel which crutch is left and which is right.
Review of Crutch Accessories
Crutcheze Black Underarm Crutch Pad and Hand Grip Covers with Comfortable Padding—Crutches Not Included
The Crutcheze set has two underarm and two hand grip covers that has contoured comfortable removable padding for excellent support. This excellence may be due to them being designed by healthcare professionals. These covers are washable, quick drying, moisture wicking, breathable with a 4-way stretch, and are made with Bodycare Antibacterial fabric with UV-ray protection to slow down the fading of color. They are skin and clothes abrasion resistant. You can easily install them by stretching the cover over standard size crutch rubber pads, attaching the hook and loop, and be instantly ready to go. They are washable in cold water and should be line dried. They are latex-free and one size fits all standard size youth or adult underarm crutches. The Crutcheze can help prevent arm pit and hand chafing, bruising, and blistering from using crutches. They are made in the USA, as is most of the products in this best crutches guide, and come in black or pink heather.
- #1 SELLING BRAND Made in USA - Crutcheze PREMIUM Crutch Pads provide ultimate comfort, style, protection and easy care. CRUTCHES NOT INCLUDED.
- THE ORIGINAL Crutch Comfort Pad - HIGHEST QUALITY, thickest, high density medical grade foam padding. Don't settle for thinner alternatives.
- ANTIBACTERIAL, moisture wicking, breathable covers keep skin dry and comfortable. Our fabric is the same used in high end athletic wear.
- EASY TO INSTALL - Stretch covers over existing rubber pads, attach hook and loop for instant fit. See video
- MADE IN USA -100% Satisfaction Guarantee! One size fits all standard youth and adult underarm crutches. Machine wash, cold water, line dry.
Crutcheze Royal Blue Crutch Bag, Pouch, Pocket, Tote Washable Designer Fashion Orthopedic Products Accessories
The Crutcheze Royal Blue Crutch Bag is designed and developed by healthcare professionals and tested by independent testers to make sure you receive the highest standards. It can easily attach to crutches with an adjustable, removable strap that has a hook and loop to make it a secure fit. The one size fits all standard adult and youth underarm crutches. The crutch bag’s main pouch is 6.5” wide by 9” long and is made out of lightweight, waterproof, stretchable, stain and bacteria resistant fabric. It has lots of space for personal items and a side pocket that is stretchable for even more carrying space with enough room for a water bottle. The crutch bag has a pouch that has an inside liner pocket that can be used to carry a cell phone or other small electronic device. The bag is machine washable in cold water and should be line dried.
- Crutch bag's main pouch is lightweight, stretchable, water proof, stain and bacteria resistant.
- Provides lots of room for personal items plus stretchable side pocket for extra carrying space.
- Matching hand grip pads are sold separately as a crutch padded covers set.
- Easily attaches to crutches using removable, adjustable straps with hook and loop for secure fit.
- One size fits all standard youth and adult underarm crutches. Machine wash, cold water, line dry.
Crutch Critters Crutch Pads by Zoocchini
Bravo to Zoocchini for coming up with such adorable crutch pads just for those youngsters that need to use crutches. The Crutch Critters come in three different kinds of animals to choose from and each appears to be two animals with each facing the opposite direction. There are the amorous golden teddy bears by the name of Pal, the tenacious but lovable tigers named Raja, or the bouncing baby horses named Ajax. You can also buy separately an even softer puppy dog style by the name of Buddy and another one with baseballs on each end of the pad. They are all made of the plushest imported materials that are soft and comfortable to pad the underarms of youngsters and sold in packs of two per style. The feet of each of the animals is filled with beads for extra weight so they dangle over the crutch pad for a whimsical touch that make the feet move as the child moves. They are 14” by 6” by 9” in size and weigh only about 15 ounces.
Universal Crutch Underarm Pad Covers by Crutch Comfort
These Crutch Comfort 2-piece set of underarm pads help protect arms from being uncomfortable and painful. The pads are made of soft memory foam cores with rich fleece covers that absorb moisture, feel great, and are washable. They will fit over existing rubber pads in a matter of seconds by securing with a hook and loop. Hand grips are also available sold separately or sold as a set with the arm pads. You can use with the other five Crutch Comfort pieces at a discount price if you buy the exclusive “Get Well Soon” gift set that includes two luxuriously soft arm pads, two fleece hand grips, and a hand 2-pocket pouch to carry essentials such as a cell phone, wallet, or keys. These are 100 percent satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
- PREMIUM SET includes 2 ultrasoft fleece underarm pad covers
- DESIGNED FOR COMFORT with sculpted memory foam pads
- LUXURIOUS FLEECE covers feel great, absorb moisture, and are washable
- EASY TO INSTALL IN SECONDS and secure with hook & loop fasteners
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE or your money back
Ergocap® High Performance Crutch Rubber Tip (Universal) by Ergoactives
The Ergocap® High Performance (HP) is a four-legged tip designed to give the user stability and balance at any angle that it is positioned. Ergocap® HP is the one tip on the market that emulates the foot and ankle joints while being stable at any angle. It is made of non-slippery rubber that is heavier and bigger than those designed for canes and pediatric crutches. It can be used on all types of crutches and is durable on all types of terrain being able to support heavy weight due to the four anti-slippery ailerons with flaps that are for balance and support. Since it makes the user walk in a heel-flat-toe manner, it can provide a proper posture and reducing unnecessary pain while promoting a perfect gait. Ergocap® HP has another fantastic feature that reduces the vibration and impact with the ground as it is equipped with a patented shock-absorbing system.
- Ergocap High Performance is a Universal, non-slippery crutch rubber tip designed specially for crutches. It is heavier and bigger compared to the Ergocap Ultralite, designed for Canes & Pediatric Crutches.
- Ergocap High Performance was designed to provide the user with stability & balance at any angle in which it is positioned. Ergocap HP is the only crutch tip in the market that effectively emulates the foot and ankle joints, providing a proper posture while delivering stability at any angle.
- Contains four anti-slippery ailerons with flaps for balance and support. It also promotes a perfect gait, as it makes the user walk in a HEEL-FLAT-TOE manner, providing a proper posture and reducing unnecessary pain.
- Ergocap High Performance reduces the vibration and impact with the ground as it is equipped with our patented shock-absorbing system. Ergocap High Performance by Ergoactives is a four-legged tip design that provides increased stability and balance as the user walks with crutches. Fits any crutch! Anti-Slippery & promotes a perfect gait (Heel-Flat-Toe)
- Fits any 3/4'' Crutch or Cane Tube! Anti-Slippery & promotes a perfect gait (Heel-Flat-Toe)
Krutch Kaddy Crutch Accessory
The Krutch Kaddy is a convenient hands-free solution that is durable, efficient, safe and secure as to where to put your personal items when on crutches. Not only are your items safe and secure but they are easy to get to when located right next to your hands. The main compartment has a zipper for security and also has individual holders that are sewn in the lining to keep items secure and easy to find. Then there is an external net pouch that can hold a 16-ounce water bottle or other beverage. The bag attaches by slipping it over the bottom of the crutch and sliding it up to be directly under the hand grip. It has a bound seam finish to reinforce the seams to prevent fraying and to stop the zipper from catching on fabric, plus it gives it an overall neat appearance. To hold the bag in place there are two strips inside the elastic backing and it has two Velcro straps that will come in handy if you no longer need the crutches and want to continue to use the bag. The Krutch Kaddy is made of durable nylon packcloth that is weather resistant and machine washable.
- Zip closure keeps items safe and secure
- Can be used with standard A-Frame crutches (Forearm version available)
- Main compartment houses individual holders for essential personal items
- Easy to use, the Kaddy slides up crutch and grips frame to hold it securely in place.
- Expandable exterior pouch provides additional carrying space.
Crutcheze Forearm Crutch Pads, Covers for Arm Cuffs, Black AirFlex Ultra Plus Crutch Pads
Designed by healthcare professionals, the Crutcheze Forearm Crutch Pads are very comfortable, affordable, and fashionable. The AirFlex Ultra Plus pads are constructed of fine medical performance fabric that is Neoprene-like having the interior made of Air Mesh that is ultra breathable. The slip cover skins made from Crutcheze BodyCare fabric are skin abrasion resistant with fast evaporation moisture wicking to keep skin dry and comfortable plus it has anti-bacterial treatment that acts as a barrier to reduce odor and UV Ray protection to keep them from fading if in the sun a lot. The set includes two arm cuff covers with removable Neoprene padding and two skin covers in black. They are made in the USA with 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. Dimensions are 3” wide by 10” long with a weight of 5.3 ounces.
- CRUTCH COMFORT: A must have accessory for forearm crutches. Crutcheze forearm crutch padded arm cuff covers are made of neoprene like material providing cushion while allowing long term use.
- ELIMINATES CHAFING & PRESSURE: Neoprene like fabric is soft and non-abrasive on your forearms allowing for comfortable use.
- COVERS INCLUDED: Fabric covers are included that add anti-bacterial benefits and are washable which extends the life of the forearm pads.
- EASY TO INSTALL: Simply stretch covers over arm cuffs, attach velcro for instant fit.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. One size fits all standard forearm crutches. Hand wash, cold water, line dry.
Fetterman Tornado Solid Body Tip by Thomas Fetterman
The Thomas Fetterman Tornado Solid Body (SB) Crutch Tips fit crutch shafts of 3/4 to 1 inch and are made of high-grade rubber that are superior in flexibility, have extremely longer wear, and better ground contact than other tips. These tips are designed for users who are less active and want greater traction and durability but at an affordable price. They are made of number one grade natural latex rubber formulated with micronized silica to make them extremely tough and with only ten percent clay filler versus the 40 to 60 percent filler with other major brands. Another feature that makes them tough is that inside the Tornado SB is a large 1-1/4 inch diameter steel disk that is bonded chemically on both sides and cannot be ejected through the side wall of the tip. The Tornado SB tip has a pivoting action that enables more of the bottom to touch the ground even at steep angles. They have a two-inch base diameter and weigh 4.4 ounces. You can put them on easily without tools.
- Made with high grade rubber
- Great traction yet competitively priced
- Pivoting action can engage the ground even at steep angles
- Extremely durable; out-lasts ordinary tips 2-3 times over
- From Thomas Fetterman – a leading US manufacturer of mobility products including crutches, tips, canes, and hand grips. All products feature a money-back satisfaction guarantee.
Thomas Fetterman Performance Gel Filled Crutch/Cane Hand Grips, Black, Pair
The Thomas Fetterman Performance Gel Filled Hand Grips are shock-absorbing, fatigue reducing, and keep you going longer. Using the same Absorbalite gel that is inside the Fetterman patented crutch tips, the hand grips have the same unique built-in shock absorbing system that has a 1/2 inch thick shock absorbing gel pad. The surfaces of the grips stay static against your palms and as you put weight on them you don’t have to worry about skin sheering or calluses building up. Finger notches are sculpted into the bottom of the grip so that your fingers are nestled between the notches to reduce the amount of strength needed to hold on securely. The Performance gel grips are very comfortable, especially when used with the Tornado Tips sold separately. These grips can improve the health of your hands, wrists, arms, and shoulders by reducing the “crutch shock.” The outside of the grips are made from a touch and pliable black PVC vinyl with a pebbled texture for a secure grip. Complete installation instructions come with your pair of Performance gel grips.
- Easy to clean exterior
- Reduces fatigue allowing you to stay mobile longer
- 1/2" thick shock absorbing gel pad
- PVC vinyl with pebbled texture for secure gripping
- From Thomas Fetterman – a leading US manufacturer of mobility products including crutches, tips, canes, and hand grips. All products feature a money-back satisfaction guarantee.
Why is this Best Crutches Guide Needed?
Crutches are needed when a person cannot bear their full weight on one of your legs due to an injury to the knee, ankle or foot such as spraining your ankle, tearing your Achilles tendon, or needing surgery on your foot or toe. A person can usually tell they need crutches because of the excruciating pain felt when trying to walk and the inability to move from one place to another. Sometimes they are needed when some type of disease causes a leg to make you to fall frequently or you may have surgery on a leg or foot so your legs will no longer support your weight. In either case, your doctor will prescribe crutches to help you be able to ambulate.
Measuring for Crutches
You may think it’s not necessary to measure yourself for crutches if you just go by your height. It may be possible to be fortunate enough to be comfortable without measuring but if you need to be using the crutches for a good amount of time, you will be glad you measured more closely. If you obtain your crutches from a local durable medical equipment company, they will usually set up an appointment for you to be measured so they can order the correct size crutches.
However, if you have crutches already and you have had them a long time and you feel it is time to get a new pair and you’re not able to get measured by a durable medical equipment company, there is a great website on how to measure for crutches created by Thomas Fetterman who is very familiar with crutches as he has had polio since 1953. He was determined to find better solutions for people with crutches so he created a shock-absorbing tip that absorbs 80 percent of negative ground impact force and that lasts three to five times longer than other ordinary tips. One of his tips is called the Tornado and is included in this guide listed below. Thirty years later, his company offers a full line of tips, forearm crutches, canes, and grips, all made in the USA with over one million products sold worldwide.
To summarize what Thomas Fetterman says on his website, he has downloadable documents for each kind of crutch such as the forearm and the underarm. With each one, he has detailed how you need to measure and he says that even if you are comfortable with the fit of your present crutches, check them against how he says you should measure to have the best comfort. Such as with a forearm crutch, the high up on the forearm that your arm cuff is the greater the mechanical advantage you get. But if it is too high, the cuff will bite into your upper arm when you stoop over. Usually, the distance between the point of your elbow to the top of your arm cuff at the back should be about three inches if you are average height of about 5’8” and if you are 6’ or taller that measurement should be about four inches and visa versa, if you’re only five feet, the measurement would be about two inches.
This is only the beginning of his instructions for the forearm crutch. You then need to take the X and Y measurement to get the perfect fit. On the underarm crutch, the X measurement determines the position of the underarm piece in relation to the handgrip and the Y measurement determines the distance between your handgrip and the bottom of the crutch tip. Once you have all the right measurements is when you should order your crutches.
How are Crutches Used?
Using crutches requires balance, upper body strength, dexterity, and usually the use of both hands. It is necessary to do some practice and best to do it on even ground in a wide open area without any obstacles. Generally, you would place crutches under your arms and squeeze them as close to your body as comfortable. Then move them about a foot ahead and pushing down on the hand grips, you would support your weight with your hands but not under your arms and move forward as soon as you feel comfortable and balanced enough.
There are six different gaits to use for different types of crutches as follows in this best crutches guide:
- One crutch – place crutch on the side of the good leg. Move crutch forward stepping with the weaker leg at the same time. Keeping the crutch close for support and balance, support your weight on the crutch and partially on the weak leg as you move the good leg forward.
- Two crutches, 4-point gait – usually used by those who can tolerate partial weight bearing on both legs. The four points are right crutch, left leg, left crutch, right leg.
- Two crutches, 2-point gait – usually used by those who can tolerate partial weight bearing on both legs but need less support than a 4-point gait. The two points are right crutch with left leg and then left crutch with right leg.
- Two crutches, 3-point gait – usually used by those who cannot bear weight on one leg. The three points are that both crutches are moved forward while bearing weight on the good leg and then the good leg is moved forward while bearing weight on the crutches.
- Two crutches, swing-to gait – used with a non-weight bearing injury by lifting the affected leg, placing both crutches in front about the length of a step, swings good leg to meet the crutches. A similar gait that is called swing-through is when both legs are placed in front of crutches instead of next to them.
- Two crutches, stairs – when climbing stairs, the good leg should be advanced first then the affected leg and the crutches are to be advanced. When slowly descending stairs, the crutches should be advanced first and then the affected leg and the good leg.
Each of the above crutches are good for different purposes and preferences. The newer type of crutches, such as the iWALK, are certainly better since they free up your hands but are only for those who meet the requirements.
After learning about Thomas Fetterman’s Tornado tips and Performance gel grips, they sure would seem like the best ones to choose when it’s time to replace them. The symbol of a tornado is on the tips and it made me wonder if Fetterman named the tip Tornado after the strongest wind on earth because he had come up against a tornado at some time in his life but I couldn’t find that to be the case in my research. By the way, the history of crutches is pretty interesting and Thomas Fetterman does a great job writing about it on his website so if you’re interested, just click on the link attached to the history of crutches above.
May this Best Crutches Guide of 2017 help you find what type of crutches are best for you or your loved one, as well as give you a variety of crutch accessories to choose. May you be blessed with getting back on your feet as soon as possible to enjoy many happy steps in the future.