Do you or your loved one need a hip or knee replacement? Even though this is a common procedure as covered under this best hip knee replacement kit guide, it is still rather scary just as any surgery can be. Knowing the surgeon and building trust in him/her will help. Be sure to ask the surgeon all the questions you have so you will feel more at ease. Just knowing what is involved and what the recovery will be like helps to ease your mind.
A few years ago I experienced going through a knee replacement surgery after injuring my knee by falling on snow and ice. The surgery went much smoother than I thought it would as I spent only one day in the hospital and then elected to go to a rehabilitation center for a few weeks while I recovered. It was the best thing I could have done as I recovered quicker than I expected to; however, if I would have known about the knee replacement kit, I may have recovered even quicker. I’m now facing a hip replacement due to damage from arthritis so I am planning on using as many of the hip replacement kit items as I can so I will have a very quick recovery.
This Best Hip Knee Replacement Kit Guide of 2017 is intended to inform you of different choices of kits and even though they may seem to be a lot alike, they each have differences that may matter to you such as the length of some of the items so check them out carefully. But first of all, it may help to describe exactly what a kit consists of.
What is a Hip Knee Replacement Kit?
A hip knee replacement kit is made up of an assortment of commonly used items that many doctors and physical therapists recommend to patients after having hip or knee replacement surgery in which the actual joint is replaced with an artificial one that will allow the patient to walk normally after recovering from the surgery. The items in the kit will help anyone with difficulties with bathing, dressing, and reaching for items after having replacement surgery or for those who have these problems with limited range of motion for other reasons. Using these items will help the patient maintain a sense of independence and privacy. They are also for those that do not have anyone to assist them at home.
Whether you are a patient, a therapist, someone that has special needs, or you just want to make life easier or more accessible, having one of these kits can be of great benefit to you or your loved one. Not only can they be used for when you have hip or knee replacement surgery but also when you have back or neck surgery as your range of motion will need some time to heal as it returns to normal. If there are any questions on how to use any of these devices, it’s best to ask a therapist or someone who has had experience with them to show you how to use them.
The hip knee replacement kit can contain some or all of the following items:
- Shoe horn with a long handle so you can use it on the back of a shoe without bending over
- Reaching device (or grabber) to reach and grab smaller items out of your reach
- Dressing assistant device that has hooks on each end to help put on clothing
- Sock assist aid that you slip a stocking over and then slip your foot into the device and then pulling the device off your foot as you leave the sock on your foot
- Bathing sponge with a long handle to be able to reach the lower body without bending
- Elastic shoelaces that are used to replace regular shoelaces so that the shoe can be slipped on without tying the shoelaces every time you put them on.
Others may also include items such as a button hook to help open and close buttons or a leg lifter that is a strap that goes around the thigh or foot and has a handle to lift the leg up. Toilet paper tongs may also be included to help reach and clean sensitive areas.
I sure could have used the elastic shoelaces when I had my surgery but instead, I used some thin elastic I had in my sewing kit which worked but didn’t work well and really didn’t look like shoelaces. You may want to buy a kit before the surgery as it may come in handy if you’re having problems reaching or bending because of pain and stiffness in your knee or hip. Then you’ll already be prepared for after the surgery. If these are prescribed by your doctor, your insurance may cover them.
The Best Hip Knee Replacement Kits
The items in the kits covered under this best hip knee replacement kit guide can really come in handy when you are not able to reach your feet or other places. I remember after my knee surgery I couldn’t reach my foot to put on a stocking so I made my own shoe assistant out of cardboard but it didn’t last for long. I finally broke down and bought one as well as a reaching device, which is also known as a grabber and I still use one to reach into the top cabinets in my kitchen and other hard to reach places. Listed below are five of the best hip knee replacement kits for you or your loved one to consider.
RMS Premium Hip Knee Replacement Kit Made in U.S.A.
This six piece hip or knee replacement kit from Royal Medical Solutions (RMS) is for people recovering from hip or knee surgeries and was designed by medical professionals. The kit contains one Deluxe Molder Sock Aid with 38-inch long handles, one 26-inch Reacher (or grabber) that has a clip so it can be attached to a walker, one 28-inch Long Dressing Stick, one 18-inch Long Plastic Shoe Horn, and one 22-inch Long Handle Round Sponge. All are made in the U.S.A. and work for either left- or right-handed people and of most average heights. All items are 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Most customers were pleased with the items giving the kit a high 4.5 out of 5-star rating.
- 5 PIECES KIT: 1x 26" Reacher, 1x Deluxe Molded Sock Aid with 38" Long Foam Handles, 1x 28" Long Dressing Stick, 1x 22" Long Handle Round Sponge and 1x 24" Long Plastic Shoe Horn.
- EXTEND YOUR REACH: Features 26" Long reacher grabber built up with lightweight aluminum with ergonomic handle for comfortable grip. Magnetic tip helps pick up small objects and Fitted with post to assist with dressing. Yellow clip fastens reachers to canes, walkers, wheelchairs and hospital bed rails to keep them nearby.
- DRESS INDEPENDENTLY: 28" Dressing Stick with a large vinyl coated "S" Hook to assist with putting on shirts, pulling up pants, skirts, or helping put on shoes or removing socks. Vinyl coated "C" Hook on opposite end for pulling zippers and shoelace loops. The Sock Aid allows to easily put on socks or stocking without bend over. A 24" long shoe horn is included to easily put on any type of shoe while standing.
- BATHING INDEPENDENTLY: A 22" long Bath Sponge making bathing without bending and twisting easier.
Complete Hip Replacement Kit with 32” Reacher
This Complete Hip Replacement Kit made by Rolyn Prest includes eight items for anyone recovering from hip or knee surgery. The kit comes in its own plastic bag that holds a Sock Aid with handle, a 24-inch Stainless Steel Shoe Horn, a Sammons Preston Rolyan Reacher with the option of either a 26-inch or a 32-inch long, a Bendable Contoured Bath Sponge, a Dressing Stick, and Elastic Shoelaces in black and white colors. Raised Toilet Seat is sold separately if needed. Customer reviews were good on this kit with a rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars. Some complained of not getting any instructions with the kit.
Deluxe 7-Piece Hip/Knee Replacement Kit with 26 Inch Reacher
This Deluxe 7-Piece Hip/Knee Replacement Kit made by MARS Wellness contains one 26-inch Reacher to help user to avoid bending and give them the ability to easily reach up high or low; one Sock Aid for putting on compression stockings or socks; one Dressing Stick to help with putting clothing on and to be more flexible; One Sponge Ease Figure 8 Bath Sponge with a long handle to be able to reach without bending; one 24-inch Metal Shoe Horn to allow user to put on shoes easily; one pair of 24-inch Elastic Shoelaces in white and one in black so user can slip on shoes easily without bending. These seven pieces make up a collection of essential items that will help with bathing, dressing, and reaching. Customers were happy with this kit giving it a total rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
- PREMIUM 7 PIECE SET: 1x Reacher Grabber, 1x Long Shoe Horn, 1x Sock Assist, 2x Shoe Laces, 1x Shower Back Scrubber, 1x Dressing Stick.
- ESSNETIAL FOR POST SURGERY: Designed carefully by medical professionals for people who are recovering from hip replacement, knee, bariatric surgeries, or back surgery
- LIVE INDEPENDENTLY: Offers freedom and independence to people with limited range of motion and low mobility; live more independently and reduce dependence on others!
- IMPROVE HEALING PROCESS: Our Hip Kit comes HIGHLY recommend by Doctor's and Physical Therapists and contains all of the ESSENTIALS necessary to assist in your healing process
- MAKES DAILY LIFE POST SURGERY A BREEZE: Grab items in hard to reach places, put on and take off socks and shoes with ease, wash hard to reach areas and make getting dressed in the morning easy
Sammons Preston Deluxe Hip/Knee Kit, Premium Recovery Kit
This 9-piece assistive tool kit made by Summons Preston is to be used while recovering from hip or knee surgery or serious injury to any part of the body. Summons Preston has been a major brand in home care devices for over 50 years. The kit contains every tool you may need while recovering from a total knee or hip replacement. All of these items help the user to keep from making too many unnecessary movements that may cause trauma to the surgery or wound site. The tools for dressing will help the user be able to put on clothing by themselves. The Shoe Horn, Dressing Stick, Rigid Leg Lifter, and Stocking Aid will make getting dressed easier and less painful. The Standard Reacher will make reaching for things that are too far to stretch much easier to grasp. The Shoelaces and the Button Hook will also help make getting dressed easier. There were no customer reviews for this kit.
- Contains everything needed for recovery after a total hip replacement or total knee replacement surgery
- Includes limited mobility dressing aids, including a shoe horn, sock aid for applying compression socks, dressing stick, and button hook
- Also includes reach tools, such as a 26" long reacher grabber, leg lifter for transferring injured leg or hip, toileting aid for easy wiping, long scrub sponge for easy bathing, and tylastic shoelaces
- Designed to make recovery from surgery easier and more independent and allows for greater freedom during periods of limited mobility
- Assistive aids assist those with limited reach or functional movement, such as the disabled and elderly and those recovering from a fall or injury
Hip/Knee Equipment Kit Package with 26-inch Reacher
This Hip/Knee Equipment Kit is made by Rolyn Prest and includes seven of the items that are recommended the most by therapists for hip and knee surgery recovery. The kit includes one 26-inch or 32-inch Reacher, one Deluxe Molded Sock Aid that has foam handles, one Bendable Contoured Bath Sponge, one 24-inch stainless steel Shoe Horn, one Dressing Stick, plus 26-inch Elastic Shoelaces, one in black and one in white. These items are made to help anyone recovering from hip or knee replacement surgery or for any other persons with a limited range of motion. Customers were happy with this kit giving it a rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Rehabilitation Advantage Economy 4-Piece Hip/Knee Replacement Kit
I’ve added this hip or knee replacement kit that is the economy kit with only four main items for anyone not needing all the items described above. This Economy 4-Piece Hip/Knee/Back Replacement Kit includes four specially selected items for anyone who has trouble bending, lifting, and twisting being especially useful after surgery to replace a knee or hip or after having back surgery. The Sock Aid has foam handles that help in making a firm but comfortable grip as socks or stockings are pulled on with ease. The 26-inch Reacher allows you to reach for things out of reach and grab them with little effort. The 17-inch Plastic Shoe Horn helps you to slip on shoes or slippers without struggling. The Blue 18-inch Handled Sponge helps you to reach all areas while bathing without the need for strenuous bending and it has a hole in the handle to hang it conveniently. This Economy Hip Knee Replacement Kit is built with superior materials to ensure long-lasting and durable use and is competitively priced. There were no customer reviews for this kit.
- Rehabilitation Advantage Economy Hip Kit comes with 4 pieces to help the patient complete daily tasks on their own
- Includes a Plastic Sock Aid with Foam Handles, 26" Reacher, 17" Plastic Shoehorn, and a Blue 18" Handled Sponge
- Created to assist individuals in bathing, dressing, and performing daily activities
- Ideal for individuals with low mobility; live more independently and reduce dependence on others
- Assists in the healing process; often recommended by physical therapists for use after hip replacement, knee, or back surgery
Best Hip Knee Replacement Kit Guide Conclusion
It may be difficult to choose one of these kits as most have basically the same items even though they may be shaped differently at times. If you want to see what they look like, you can do a search for them online. The one with the most items is number 4 but the price is a little higher than the others. That is the only one with a leg lifter, button hook, and toilet paper tongs but some of the items may not be needed so it would be a waste of money to buy a kit just because it has more items unless all of them are needed. You may think it would be best to go with number 1 as it has the highest rating at 4.5 out of 5 stars but whatever kit you choose, you are saving quite a bit of money due to buying all these items at once instead of one at a time the way I ended up doing.
One of these kits would make a nice gift for an elderly person or someone who is physically challenged and may not be able to walk. I’m in a wheelchair and keep the grabber with me as I use it several times every day. Whether the kit is for a gift or an upcoming recovery from knee or hip replacement, any one of these kits would be of great help to you or your loved one. I hope the information in this guide will help you pick the best hip knee replacement kit so that you or your loved one’s recovery from surgery goes smoothly. Best wishes to you or your loved one for a speedy recovery!