Walking canes are fantastic mobility aids that give individuals who experience balance issues and minor or major pain in their legs, the ability to lead an independent active life. Whilst looking into purchasing one we tend to give a lot of importance to how it looks, the way the handle feels when we’re gripping it and the adjustability features (height, handle). However, we forget about possibly the most important aspect of the walking cane: the cane tips.
Cane tips are generally made of rubber and they resemble an upside-down cork. They are placed at the bottom of the cane to cause some friction with the ground, and in turn, to provide you with stability and the peace of mind when leaning on your cane. It is the most important part of the walking cane, as without it the cane would lose its function. No cane means no stability.
There are several types of cane tips, all adding a different kind of quality to your walking experience. The ones with the bumps on the bottom, provide the user with a spongy bouncy effect. This is due to the fact that they absorb the initial impact of any bumps or irregularities in the surface of the floor that your cane may encounter as you place it down on the ground. So, they are amongst the most comfortable tips, that will provide you with a smooth walking experience. These are possibly the ones that provide the user with the most balance. However, because the bumps on the cane tip is made of rubber and due to the fact that they are protruding from the tip, they tend to wear away quickly, flattening over time. So, if you are going to purchase these cane tips, ensure that you check them once every two weeks.
Ergocap Ultralite Cane Rubber tip by Ergoactives is one such example of a cane tip with several bumps on the bottom. It provides the user with ultimate balance and stability, regardless of which angle you choose to place your walking stick. Due to its rare shock-absorbing system it considerably reduces the sudden impact as you place your walking cane down. In return, this eliminates any balance loss or sudden pain that could be inflicted into your arms. It fits any sort of cane, so you won’t have to worry about measurements.
- Ergocap Ultralite is a Universal, Non-Slippery Crutch Rubber Tip designed Specially for Canes & Walking Sticks. It is lighter and smaller compared to the Ergocap High Performance, designed for Crutches.
- Ergocap Ultralite was designed to provide the user with stability & balance at any angle in which it is positioned.
- Ergocap Ultralite reduces the vibration and impact with the ground as it is equipped with our patented shock-absorbing system.
- Ergocap Utralite by Ergoactives is a four-legged tip design that provides increased stability and balance as the user walks with a walking stick/cane.
- Fits any cane! Anti-Slippery & promotes a perfect gait (Heel-Flat-Toe)
Cane tips, in general, are no very long-lasting. It, of course, all depends on how much you use your walking cane and what kinds of conditions they have to endure. On an average, they are able to last for about six months and by the end of his period they are generally really thinned and you may start to hear the metal of your cane tapping onto the ground. As you may never know when a hole could be torn into the cane tip, it’s always a good idea to carry an extra one with you, especially in colder weather conditions, where there is a likeliness for ice and wet leaves to be collected on the ground that may enhance the risk of slippage.
If you’re not too concerned about the way in which your walking cane looks, and your main focus is on stability and balance then the tri-pod cane tips is the one you should opt for. These are quite bulky in appearance; however, they promise ultimate stability. These can be placed onto the end of almost any walking cane, replacing their original ones. They resemble the base of a quad cane, apart from the fact that they provide your walking stick with three protruding feet, instead of four.
The Deluxe Impact Reducing Able Tripod cane tip by Drive Medical is just a single example of a tripod cane tip. It is made of rubber and not only provides added stability, but it also enables you to put your cane down without it falling over. It is suitable for most canes with a ¾” tubing. It is partially flexible, meaning that there is no risk of it snapping, as it flexes in accordance with the structure of the floor that you place it down on. It can also be used whilst climbing stairs, and on grassy, gravely and sandy terrains.
- Provides balance, stability and allows your cane to be self-standing
- Replaces existing cane tip; Fits most manufacturers' canes with 3/4" tubing
- Flexes as you walk reducing impact through hand and wrist
- Easy to use on stairs and provides greater traction on most terrain including grass, gravel, and sand
- Overall Dimensions: 3"(L) x 3"(W) x 1"(H); Weight Capacity: 500 lbs
On the other hand, if the area that you reside in has a potential of icy weather, or you live in a very green place with a lot of rain, the cane ice grip is the perfect choice for you. Cane ice grips, grasp at the ice or the grass when walking, eliminating any risk of falling over. You are also able to lift them upwards when you do not want to use them.
The DMI Cane Ice Tip Attachment that includes a Cane Ice Grip by Duro Med, is an excellent one that can be use on both canes and crutches. It considerably reduces any risk of you slipping during ice weather conditions by gripping at the ice. It’s also very easy to attach to your walking cane. All you need to do tighten the two screws around your cane. The grips are able to flip up, so that you don’t need to remove the attachment during times that you are not out in the ice.
- REDUCE YOUR RISK OF FALLING ON ICE or snow with your cane ice tip attachment. Your cane ice grip bites into the ice and snow like an ice pick to significantly improve your stability.
- GREAT CANE ICE GRIP FOR CANES OR CRUTCHES, as it easily attaches to most canes or crutches with only two included screws. 4.25 inches long.
- EASY FLIP UP ICE GRIP ATTACHMENT FOR CANES DESIGN, allowing you to keep it on indoors, preventing you from having to take it on and off repeatedly.
- EASY ASSEMBLY with only 2 simple screws that attach to your cane or crutches. Includes 1 cane ice tip attachment per package.
- WARRANTY AND GUARANTEE: Amazon Exclusive Limited warranty may apply. Please see product for additional details. NOTE: we can only guarantee the quality of this product when sold through Amazon.com or Brazos Walking Sticks.
So, just by determining which conditions you’re going to find yourself walking in, you should be able to easily decide which cane tip is the best one for you. Pop into your local medical equipment store or get shopping on one of the online distributors.