Why do a lot of guys look cool when walking with a cane? Because they are using a cool cane! A cool cane somehow adds to a gentlemen’s or a lady’s outfit and is meant to be used when going out on the town or any other place. Some of the below cool canes may be best to dress up an outfit but others can be used any time. That’s totally up to you!
It’s important to understand that using a cool cane is like using any other cane when it comes to safety and knowledge of the proper way to use one so I’ve included some tips to keep you cool (or wise) while using your cool cane.
Safety and Smart Tips for Using a Cane
When walking with your cool cane, you will find that the following suggestions will help keep you safer while ambulating in your home, as well as outside of your home.
- If you plan on buying a cool cane that is not adjustable, be sure to measure before buying so that it fits according to your height. Some wooden canes can be cut down but that can be a hassle if you don’t do that sort of thing. It should come to about your hip and your elbow should be bent 15-20 degrees when standing. To make sure it will be comfortable, you can go to a drug store to try out an adjustable one to see what height works best for you.
- Be sure you can grip the cane well and using a hand grip made of some type of rubber is helpful but may not be available for cool canes. Wearing a leather glove can be helpful also.
- You need to use the cane on the opposite or “good” side rather than the “bad” leg that is injured or weakest. Step forward with the “bad” leg and the cane together.
- Going up steps is the opposite of walking…lead with the strongest leg to have enough strength to pull you up; however, going down is the same as walking…lead with the weakest leg while placing your cane down with “bad” leg to support you.
- Always use your free hand to hold onto railings when available.
- Ask for help if you are unsure of your balance, especially when using steps without a railing or if they are unlevel.
- To avoid tripping or slipping at home, remove rugs or anything not secured to the floor and keep stairways clear.
- Always look a few feet ahead to check for anything that may hinder you walking safely.
- Avoid looking down at your feet while walking with a cane unless you need to watch as when walking on unlevel surfaces or steps.
- Avoid surfaces that are not safe such as wet, oily, unlevel, sandy, or icy areas. If you live where it snows, use a tip on your cane meant for snow and ice conditions.
- To avoid dropping your cane, place your hand through the wrist strap that comes attached to most canes. This will also keep you from accidentally leaving it somewhere.
- Be sure to replace the tip of your cane when it wears down. Most drug stores carry them.
- Never let your pride or shame get the best of you when using a cane—your health is way more important than what anyone thinks of you!
How to Find the Right Cool Cane
You may wonder how to decide which cool cane is the best one for you. You can get an idea of which is best by answering the below questions to find out what kind of priorities you have. By picking what is most important, you can narrow your choices down.
- How important is the weight of the cane to you? If you do a lot of walking, a heavier cane can become hard to carry especially if you have problems with your arm or hand.
- Does it have enough strength to hold your weight? Some cool canes are just for show and are not recommended for orthopedic use so make sure that kind will work for you.
- Are the materials it is made of important? Some materials are stronger, some are lighter.
- Is a stylish color something that is important to you? Do you prefer flashy or subtle? A cool cane should be an extension of your personality so go with what you’re attracted to.
- Is the cost important to you? Most cool canes will cost more than a standard cane but some of the below cool canes are pretty reasonable.
Descriptions and Reviews of Cool Canes
Hopefully, the below will help you in determining what type of cool cane suits you the best:
Wood Cane with Golden Lion Brass Handle – Unique Decorative
This cool cane is made by SouvNear and has a brass sculptured full body of a lion with a beautifully detailed head with a magnificent mane to guard you with aesthetic force while providing a strong grip and comfortable support. It is called a walking stick or cane for men or women and is hand carved out of Indian Rosewood. It is not adjustable at 37.2 inches but could be cut down if needed. The lion is removable so that you can buy different collectible handles to make it a timeless fashionable accessory that is vintage looking and would make a great gift for anyone.
The few customers that reviewed this cool cane thought it was really cool and classy. One customer used it for a 1920s theme party and received many compliments on it. I can see why it has earned a 5 out of a 5-star rating.
- Exclusive Design
- All walking sticks are compatible with all handles. Pair any handle with any stick. Buy one cane and add handles of your choice. This stylish collectible hardwood walking stick is a timeless fashionable accessory for any era.
- The fearless image of a lion adorns this walking stick with aesthetic force
- The lion's head is beautifully detailed with a magnificent mane, providing a very comfortable support and a strong grip
- Measures 35.5 Inches in length
Secure Walking Cane with LED Flashlight, Panic Alarm & Alert Light
This Walking Cane made by Secure certainly would make you feel secure walking at night or in unfamiliar areas. It is made of lightweight but durable aluminum alloy and is adjustable from 28 to 38 inches in length. Cool features include an LED flashlight that emits brightly for safety in low light areas and is adjustable. It also has a push-button panic alarm that emits a high decibel alarm that will be loud enough to draw attention of others around you and good for emergency situations or to call for help or could also be used to ward off a potential attacker. In addition, it has a flashing red alert or warning light to alert vehicles, cyclists, or others of your presence in such conditions as walking along roadways or crossing the street. It requires two AAA batteries that are not included. It has a weight capacity of 250 pounds and a one year warranty.
This cool cane had mixed reviews with some really good and some really bad. The good one I found most interesting is that the customer liked how people noticed the cane instead of noticing her needing a cane. She said that it made her feel good because they’re noticing that her cane is cool instead of that she’s handicapped. She also said that she was grateful to have it because she was attacked on the street and used the alarm. The down side was that the cane bent so it’s not as durable as was advertised. There were others that said it broke so this sounds like one that should not be used for orthopedic reasons but more as a walking stick. The rating was 3.6 out of 5 stars.
- The Secure Walking Cane is made of durable aluminum alloy for long-term use and is telescopically adjustable from 28"-38" in length - Multifunction features make it the perfect safety accessory for everyday use!
- Multifunction features include LED flashlight, push-button panic alarm, and flashing red alert/warning light
- The adjustable flashlight emits bright LED light for safety at night and in low light conditions
- The push-button panic alarm emits a high decibel alarm sound that will draw the attention of others - Perfect for emergency situations and when immediate help is needed
- Flashing red alert/warning light alerts vehicles, cyclists, etc. of the user's presence - Requires 2x AAA batteries (not included) - One year warranty - Weight Capacity: 300 lbs.
Tucane Advanced Cane System – Your Third Hip
The Tucane cool cane is by Ergoactives LLC and is very unique and is not what you would call a regular cane. It is referred to as a “third leg” or hip that supports your body. With its Shock-Absorbing technology and the spring loaded handle that pushes the cane forward as you lift the cane is the most advanced cane you have ever seen! It is made out of Nylon Fiber and with its beautiful design, it is useful but also very cool! It is heavier than a traditional cane at 4.5 pounds but you won’t notice that when you see what it can do. The spring mechanism pushes the handle forward causing the cane to move ahead of the step of the user. It is called a “Third Hip” since it needs to be used next to your bad hip to produce a more stable feeling to support your weight like having three hips. This new and innovative concept is completely revolutionary helping the user to walk with a perfect form and posture. It also allows the user to walk in a perfect gait, reducing and preventing back pain as a result of incorrect posture. The Tucane can reduce impact while promoting a perfect gait. It is adjustable and comes in three different sizes of small (4’8” to 5’2”), medium (5’3” to 6’0”), and large (6’1” to 6’7”).
This cane is really cool in all that it does for you. The customers were amazed at how this cane reduces fatigue and pain while it gives support. One customer compared it to an external prosthetic. Some complained about how heavy it is so I would recommend this to those with good strength in arms and upper body.
- Product "Unique" Features: Tucane NOT a regular Cane, But A "third leg" that supports your body. It is much heavier (4.5 lb) than a traditional cane. It Has a spring mechanism that pushes the handle forward causing the cane to move ahead of the step of the user. We call the Tucane a "Third Hip" because it has to be used always next to the bad hip. This produces a more stable feeling, as if one has three hips to support the body's weight.
- Product Innovation: Tucane Provides Proper Posture. This cane walks beside you. Thanks to its automatic spring system, the cane propels forward as the user lifts it!
- Product Description: Tucane is an advanced walking assist device that imitates a hip, as if the user had three hips on the body for extra support. This new and innovative concept substitutes conventional canes, as it is completely revolutionary. The Tucane helps the user to walk with a perfect form and posture. It also allows the user to walk in a perfect gait (Heel-Flat-Toe), reducing and preventing back pain as a result of incorrect posture during the walk. It contains a Spring Loaded Automatic Handle- The cane moves with leg as user walks
- Product Technology: During the walk, Tucane moves forward at the level of the leg while the user advances. It is equipped with a spring on the handle of the cane that pushes the Tucane forward as the user lifts the cane from the ground, producing a feeling as if the cane is walking on its own, avoiding extra stress or force required from the user. The Tucane is adjustable and adapts to the user's correct height. The Cane tip equipped in all Tucane Ergonomic canes is based of an advanced medical anti-slippery and extra strong rubber. During the walk, the Ergocap Cane Tip will simulate the foot and ankle joint articulation, allowing for a perfect walk (Heel-Flat-Toe) and reducing impact and vibration from contact with the ground.
- Product Design: The grip handle of the Tucane is manufactured from a soft, ergonomic rubber. It was designed to reduce impact and stress on the different anatomic structures of the body, such as wrists, elbows, and shoulders. The grip handle allows preventing inflammation or pain in any of these areas. At the same time, Tucane corrects the user's posture while walking. Overall, Tucane reduces impact and vibration while promoting a perfect gait. It also emulates the articulation of the human hip. It is in this way that the Tucane stands out from any other cane or walking stick in the market. Tucane is more than a cane, it's a third hip! Beautiful design made out of Nylon Fiber, Equipped with Ergocap High Performance Four-Angles Shoe Cap.
Handbag Size Folding Walking Stick/Cane – Butterfly
This beautiful and exotic cool cane is made by Charles Buyers and is one that would suit any lady who loves butterflies. It has a colorful display of butterflies has an invigorating and happy vibe about it as the pattern goes from the bottom to the top with a sense of butterfly symmetry. It has a traditional Derby Handle with a wrist strap so you can carry it comfortable and not lose it. This cool cane folds in sections that easily fold and unfold with minimal effort. The rubber tip ensures you of a firm grip on all types of surfaces from uneven to wet. This cane makes a great travel cane as it folds so compactly that it can fit into a handbag. Its adjustable length is from 32 inches to 35.5 inches and it is very lightweight weighing less than one pound.
Since only one person has reviewed this cool cane so far, it wouldn’t be fair to say all customers loved it but if I were to review it, I’m sure I’d give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars just like the one person did who said she loved everything about it.
- Derby Handle
- Dress Stick
- Butterfly Print
Unisex Amber/Walnut Palm Grip Cane
This cool cane made by Harvy has a hardwood shaft with a cherry finish that is 36 inches long and 0.875 inches in diameter. The Palm Grip handle is made of acrylic in three different polished finishes that is formed to fit your hand and you can order one for either the left or right hand. It will fit into your hand providing comfortable support like no other cane. The weight capacity for this cool cane is 250 pounds. The Palm Grip has a stylish Harvy signature band that adds a touch of class to it and this cool can would make a cool gift for anyone that may need a little classy help in walking. It comes in four different color styles: Black with Amber handle, Black with Satin Black handle, Cherry with Amber handle, and Walnut with white marbleized acrylic handle. Be sure to pay attention to which side they need so you can order the correct cane. If 36 inches is too tall you can have it cut down.
This surely is a cool cane since all the customers that reviewed it gave it a 5-star rating. Most of them noted how the fitted handle made it easier to ambulate over all sorts of surfaces because of its comfortable ergonomic grip. Many said it is the best cane they have every used. In fact, one customer said she had someone steal her cane right out of her shopping cart when she wasn’t watching it. I would suggest you hang on to this cool cane tightly since it doesn’t come with a wrist strap. It may be a good idea to purchase a wrist strap before taking it anywhere.
- Hardwood shaft in cherry finish is 0.875 inches in diameter and is 36 inches long
Personalized Wood Cane Brass Telescope Walking Stick – Hidden Spy Telescope Handle
This unique and attractive Victorian style cool cane comes from Historical Museum Store and would make a very nice gift for anyone who loves the nautical look. What’s really unique about this cane is that it has a solid brass or a brass chrome finish in-sight folding telescope that you can have engraved with the person’s name or anything else. The beautiful handcrafted cane is made of Indian Rose wood and comes apart in three sections for packing in a suitcase. This cane comes in a height of 39 inches (100 cm) which can be cut down if needed.
This beautifully crafted cane caught my attention so I’ve added it as an extra one to consider just because it is so unique and the only one I have seen that you can have engraved. Many customers raved about how many compliments they got when carrying this cool cane. What a great gift!
- Gentleman Brass Telescope Handel Indian Rose Wood Cane
- Dimensions: 100cm full length.
- Solid Brass chrome finish in-sight Telescope Walking Stick
- Directly from the Manufacturer via FedEx , DHL, UPS Courier Service.
- Victorian Style Walking Stick Cane dismantles in three section