Portable mobility scooters are amongst the best when deciding what form of mobility aid equipment is required for your mobile needs. They enable you to continue with your everyday activities if you’re feel bouts of pain when standing and walking by providing you a seated option of being active. And not only this, but you’ll also be able to continue socialising without thinking about how you’re going to get through the day. However, with so many different mobility scooters on the market, settling on one may be a difficult process. Taking every factor and characteristic into consideration is a perfect way to eliminate the ones that will not benefit you in the long run. Choosing the right mobility scooter may even mean that you won’t have to buy another one ever again.
One of the first things to ask yourself is whether you’re going to be using your mobility scooter frequently. You may be using it to go out on your daily grocery shopping, once a week to visit friends and family or even to go on a holiday somewhere overseas or far away, which suggests that you may have to carry your scooter along with you in a car or on a plane. If you are an avid traveller and have family members who drive to distant places, you may, in fact, need a portable mobility scooter. These are much lighter than other scooters, and they can be either disassembled into several pieces for effortless portability or can be folded into a small compact shape for easier storage into the boot of the car.
Portable Mobility Scooters – Factors To Consider
One disadvantage of portable mobility scooters is that they are not as comfortable as full size scooters, as they generally have a limited suspension system, in order to ensure that they are light in weight. The lack of suspension suggests that you will feel every bump and dip on the terrains that you are travelling over, which can cause some pain and discomfort to your body. Another disadvantage is that due to their small structure they have a limited ground clearance, making it troublesome for them to cross roads with ramps, kerbs and slopes.
To give portable mobility scooters their light weight, they have much smaller batteries than their larger counterparts. However, these batteries do not have as good an output as the normal scooters, which means that they cannot travel as far on a fully charged battery; most only reaching 10 miles before the battery runs out. The good news is that some models enable you to bring along an extra battery that is attached onto the scooter and can be swapped when the primary battery is drained.
Two other factors to consider regarding batteries is whether you would like one that detaches from the scooter, so that it can be charged externally from the scooter, or whether you prefer the batteries to be permanently attached to the scooter. The latter requires an electric socket at close hand in in your scooter storage areas.
Another downside is that because of their small structure they are not able to carry great weight, with most only being able to handle 250lbs. Although, there are a few models that are able to carry 300lbs. They also have much smaller wheels than normal mobility scooters, which suggests that they are not suitable to be driven over ramps and kerbs.
It is also important to keep in mind that if you’re planning to only drive on the sidewalk, then you cannot exceed the speed limit of 4mph. Portable mobility scooters are generally able to reach a maximum speed limit of 4mph, making them the idea scooters for sidewalks. However, if you’re going to be using your mobility scooter on the road you can travel at a maximum of 8mph. So, it is vital that you purchase your scooter accordingly.
Here are three portable mobility scooters that we thought you might be interested in:
EV Rider Automatic Folding Scooter With Remote Lithium Power Mobility (Manufactured By EV Rider)
This portable scooter is unique as it can automatically be folded into a small compact shape with just a single touch on a remote control. Even when it is not folded, it is a small scooter, its measurements being only: 17.3” x 16.5” x 28.7”. It has lithium batteries, which gives the scooter its lightness, weighing only 44 lbs. It comes with an LED headlight which ensures that you are always safe and secure. The tiller can be adjusted in accordance with your height.
- Automatic Folding & Unfolding with one touch on a Remote Control, A true one, two, three-step folding/travel scooter + 1 Year Extended Warranty
- Easy to lug around at home, hotels or airports, Can be stowed upright in any closet or corner, Powered by 8.7Ah Lithium Battery, Ultra Lightweight
- Powerful 270 Watt 4-pole motor, Articulated front end adds to greater stability, LED Headlight; Height adjustable tiller; Key ignition; Dual hand two way throttle control
- 10 to 15 mile range per charge, Lighting Package: front and rear lights, Lightweight: 44 lbs; Compact size: 17.3" x 16.5" x 28.7", good for travel
- 8" x 2" flat free drive wheels, 7" x 1.6" flat free front wheels and a 16" fish on style seat, Digital display, Removable seat, Unique design uses unusual folding concept. The TranSport AF comes with upgrades like digital display, front and rear lights, removable seat to make the scooter even lighter, better seat and you can fit armrests as well.
Echo Folding Scooter Shoprider Travel Mobility (Manufactured By Shoprider)
The Echo Folding Scooter can be folded and unfolded effortlessly in just 10 seconds. It can carry a maximum weight of 200lbs and can travel at a top speed of 4 mph, making it the ideal scooter to be used on sidewalks. The scooter is extremely light and only weighs 59lbs.
- Challenger Scooter Vinyl Cover included
- Folding/unfolding time: 10 seconds
- weight capacity 200 lbs. - Speed 4 mph - Travel Range 10 miles
- Scooter Overall Weight: 59 lbs only!
- 1-Year Labor in Home Extended Warranty
Easy Travel Elite Folding Lightweight Travel Electric Mobility Scooter (Manufcatured By Tzora)
The Easy Travel Elite Scooter can be disassembled into 3 sections or can be folded for easy storage. Once folded, it resembles a wheelie suitcase. It has Sealed Lead Acid batteries which can easily be removed. It can carry a maximum weight of 250lbs and can reach a speed of 3.7 mph. The heaviest part is the battery which weighs about 27lbs.
- Disassembles into 3 lightweight components, Folds similar to a piece of luggage
- Easily removable SLA battery pack
- Unique In-Wheel-Motor design
- Weight capacity 250 lbs - Speed 3.7 mph - Heaviest Part 27 lbs.
As long as you carefully consider the type of terrain you’re going to be using your scooter on and the type of battery you find the most trustworthy, it will not take you long to purchase one of those portable mobility scooters that will bring undeniable convenience to your life.