What do you do when you’re walking with a cane and then need to sit down for a short rest? You could look around for a place to sit but chances are there won’t be one and you’ll have to walk farther to find one. What about if you have to stand in a long line? If you find a seat, you lose your place in line. But there is a solution. Get a walking cane with seat attached.
What is a Walking Cane with Seat?
A walking cane with seat (chair or stool) is a cane like other canes that help alleviate some strain that is put on your back and joints plus helps with balance while walking but with the addition of a seat that you can sit on to rest when folded out. A walking cane (or walking stick) with seat would be used best on most terrains that a regular cane can go but works best on smoother surfaces or well-worn paths. They come in adjustable or not adjustable. If you go for the not adjustable, be sure to measure from your knee to the floor to see if it is within an inch of the dimensions of the cane so that it will work for you.
Buying a Walking Cane with Seat
Below are four examples of different types of walking cane with seat that are for sale on Amazon.
Switch Sticks Walking Stick with Seat, 2-in-1 Folding Walking Stick Seat
This 2-in-1 folding walking cane with seat gives you the stability of a walking stick and the convenience of a sturdy seat. It is very handy to have while waiting in lines, resting while travelling, resting at outdoor events, resting while going for a walk or shopping, or while cooking at home.
This walking stick can be used by someone from 5 feet to 5 feet 10 inches tall but it is NOT adjustable so be sure to measure from knee to floor to see if it will be compatible. It is made of lightweight and strong aluminium that will support up to 220 pounds. When not using this walking stick with seat, it folds up for easy storage in your car, on planes, or at home. It has a smooth comfortable grip handle and slip free tips on the feet that will keep it sturdy while sitting or walking. The height of the seat is 20 inches from the floor and the height with the seat folded is 34 inches. It weighs 3.1 pounds and comes in a colourful pattern of bubbles. Many customers were satisfied with this walking stick giving it a rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
- REST WHEN YOU NEED TO WITH YOUR 2 IN 1 WALKING CANE WITH SEAT, as you'll have the stability of a walking stick with the convenience of a sturdy seat. FSA eligible
- GREAT FOR OUTDOOR EVENTS, WAITING IN LINES, traveling, or resting after going for a walk or shopping
- YOUR WALKING STICK WITH SEAT CONVENIENTLY FOLDS for easy storage on planes, in your car, or around the house
- MADE OF STRONG AND LIGHTWEIGHT aluminum(weighs only 2 pounds) that supports up to 220 pounds, suggested for those from 5 feet tall to 5 feet 10 inches tall, with a soft handle that feels comfortable in your hand
- WARRANTY AND GUARANTEE: Amazon Exclusive Limited warranty may apply. Please see product for additional details. Note: we can only guarantee the quality of this product when sold through Amazon.com or Brazos Walking Sticks
Drive Medical Folding Lightweight Adjustable Height Cane/Walking Stick with Seat
This walking cane with seat gives you a place to rest on when open and a sturdy support when closed. It is one of the few walking sticks with a seat that you can get in either adjustable or non-adjustable height. It is made of strong aluminium construction, a tri-pod design with vinyl contoured tips on the legs, a weight capacity of 250 pounds, and weighing only 1.3 pounds. The diameter of the seat is 9 inches and the seat height is 19 to 22 inches. The total height is 34 to 38 inches and the height from seat to floor is 21 inches. Many customers were happy with this cane/walking stick but there were a few complaints of the seat collapsing while someone was seated.
- Provides a comfortable seat to rest on when open, and a sturdy support cane when closed
- Manufactured with sturdy, extruded aluminum tubing
- Tripod design for increased stability
- Vinyl tipped, contoured legs are strong and stable
- Seat Diameter: 9 inch; Seat Height: 19 - 22 inches; Cane Height 34 inch - 38 inch; Seat to floor height 21 inches. Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
Mac Sports Folding Cane Chair – Walking Stick with Stool/Seat
The Mac Sports folding walking cane is lightweight at two pounds and it’s portable so it is perfect for you while on the go for running errands, going to events, and traveling. This walking cane with a seat is made of strong and reliable 19mm powder-coated aluminum frame with a weight capacity of 225 pounds and slip preventing tips on the feet. It also has durable 600-denier polyester fabric on the seat that measures 12 inches square and comes in the colors of black, blue, or green. It folds flat and compact for easy transporting and storage, plus it has a strap to carry it. The dimensions are 34.5 inches in height, 20.5 inches height from floor to seat. Most customers were satisfied with this walking cane or stick and were impressed by how comfortable the seat was compared to others.
Drive Medical Folding Lightweight Cane with Sling Style Seat
This cane with sling style seat is made of strong aluminum bronze with four sturdy legs and vinyl contoured tips that can support a weight capacity of 250 pounds. The seat is larger than other seats on canes measuring 15 inches by 6 inches and is made of comfortable fabric sitting 21 inches from the floor when open. The cane is 34 inches tall when closed and weighs just 2.4 pounds. It has comfortable foam grip handles on both arms that are 21.5 inches apart when opened and according to instructions the best way to sit on it is to straddle the seat with the taller arm in front of you. The feet have rubber tips to keep it from sliding and they are 16.5 inches apart when fully opened. This cane with seat can be taken on airplanes and can be stored in the overhead compartment.
Most customers were very pleased with this cane due to how sturdy it was when sitting down and some said they could sit on it like a chair without being astride it but the manufacturer recommends sitting astride it for better safety.
- Provides a comfortable seat to rest on when open, and a sturdy quad cane when closed
- Four sturdy legs with vinyl contoured tips and a nylon sling bench measuring 15.5" (W) x 6.25" (L)
- Manufactured with sturdy, extruded aluminum tubing with foam grip handles
- 34" tall when closed; Seat to floor height of 20.5"
- Weighs 2.4 lbs; Weight Capacity 250 lbs
There are four different types of walking canes with seats to give you a better idea of the totally different designs. Of course, that will probably make your decision even harder but you know what is best for you so take a look at the reviews for each one and you will surely figure it out. Be sure to check with your insurance company to see if they will pay for a portion of the cost with the approval of your doctor. As soon as you get it be sure to try it out a few times in case you may want to return it for another. It used to be a big problem for me to go places and have to stand and wait so whoever invented this type of cane was a genius and if I knew who she/he was, I’d send a big thank you!