With a click of a button, we can order just about any product we like with consideration to color, price, size, quantity, and material. The same goes for durable medical equipment on a handful of websites. Let’s focus on just one part: material. When people think of a long-lasting piece of medical equipment, their minds automatically imagine something of the stainless steel nature. Select metals indicate high quality and durability. Can the same be said about other materials like wood? Or has that gone by the way side since other medical materials have surfaced?
On Amazon.com, there are hundreds of canes available for purchase. Among the choices are metal canes as well as a handful of wooden canes. So, what are the subtle or obvious differences between the two and are metal canes really so much better than wooden canes?
Use the following considerations to make an honest assessment for yourself:
The impact of weather changes really depends on what the user plans do to with the cane. There are many older adults who feel sturdy enough to walk around their home without the external support, but rely on a cane for outdoor surfaces. Thus, canes are subject to precipitation and dirt which can wear on the material. Wooden canes tend to be stained or laminated, which delays the wear for a short time. Once the lamination erodes, the wood can splinter and retain mildew which eventually breaks the material down to an unsafe weight-bearing status. If the individual is using the cane for primarily indoor purposes, then a wooden cane would suffice. If the plan is to primarily use the cane outside, then the user should consider buying a durable, metal cane that won’t rust.
A variety of wooden canes are designed to take weight like any metal cane, sometimes up to 300 lbs. However, customers need to pay attention to the details. For example, the popular Derby cane available online is a stylish wooden cane that was not constructed for weight-bearing capacity. Whether a customer is buying it in the store or online, it is essential to read to reviews about what level of weight the cane can take.
- Large size round handle, modeled after the round shape of a shepherd's crook.
- Length from handle to tip is approximately: 36" (91 cm), can be cut to desired user height.
- Cane weight is approximately: 13 oz. (under 1 lbs), the lightweight yet ridged design offers reduced stress while walking and standing, and is easy to maneuver.
- Solid natural wood, carved single piece construction, strength, durability, and support in a classic wooden walking stick, proven stability aid for seniors, medical recovery, and added balance for confidence in mobility.
- Solid natural wood, carved single piece construction, strength, durability, and support in a classic wooden walking stick, proven stability aid for seniors, medical recovery
- Mobility Products
- Cane Men's Triple Twist Derby
- Made in: United States
- Cane men's triple twist derby
Many of the older style wooden canes lack height-adjustment features. Hollowed-out metal canes come with several height rungs in order to shorten or to extend the cane. So, if you order a cane online that says it’s a 36-inch height then you get what you get with no height adaptations. Be sure to measure your own height and consult with a therapist about the appropriate cane height that fits your body the best.
- YOUR ULTIMATE SUPPORT DEVICE: This wood cane is sturdy as is our company’s reputation. No need to worry about whether this cane is solid enough to support your body weight. It will support up to 250 lbs without fail!
- SOLID SUPPORT FOR YOUR BODY WEIGHT: Many walking canes are built with curvature and flexibility. This wooden cane that we’ve built was created with a fixed shape to support your body weight at all times. No worrying about your cane bending
- GET A SECURE GRIP ON YOUR LIFE: With assistive devices, such our wooden canes, your grip is as important as everything else. That is why we’ve engineered this cane to prevent flaking and cracking. Grip this cane without fear of unfortunate mishaps.
- IS IT ADJUSTABLE? Our wood walking cane comes at a manageable height - 36”. It’s not advised to alter this height, but if you must, remove the rubber tip from this single point cane, shave off an inch or two off the bottom, then re-attach the rubber tip
- GUARANTEED LONG-LASTING SUPPORT: Made with solid wood and natural ash finish, these wooden canes for men and women were manufactured to be sturdy during activities of everyday living without fear by selecting our well engineered cane.
This just refers to the end of the shaft, and really has no relevance to the wooden shaft as long as all of the pieces to the cane are intact. The majority of canes, including wood and metal have rubber ends for the cane in order to provide traction on slippery surfaces. Research the wooden canes to see if the rubbers stoppers are removable and replaceable, since they do eventually wear with use. Metal canes often have a lip or indentation on the cane for rubber stoppers to slide over and secure in place. Wooden canes potentially erode at the end with use and moisture, which can cause problems for the rubber material.
Grip material and shape
The all-natural wooden canes with the traditional hook handle are usually thick and grip-friendly. There are also wooden canes with Fritz handles that conform to the hand for those with arthritis. Occasionally, customers can locate rounded, bulb handles for more palm support and less finger use. The handles cane be wooden, metal, rubber, or foam-padded paired with a wooden shaft. For individuals who have decreased sensation or weakened hand strength, finding a grip that provides traction and conformity would be the best solution for safe walking balance.
- Weight capacity 250 pounds
- Height 36-37 inches
- Solid Wood handle and shaft
- Fritz handle for Arthritic sufferer
- Replacement Rubber tip 18 mm
Given the cut and the design, wooden canes can be just as durable as metal ones. The product detail to verify would be the weight-bearing capacity. It should be reiterated though that some wooden canes are considered “designer” canes and do not have the stability to be weight-bearing canes. Another detail that people don’t realize is that a cane is not meant to take someone’s full body weight anyway. If this is the case, then it is time to progress to a quad cane or a walker.
Canes are going the way of travel-friendly, foldable types. It can be such a hassle to fit a cane into a small car or on in an airplane cubby. Not a ton of wooden canes on the market have the foldable luxury. The following cane has a wooden shaft with a brass handle and does actually fold into three parts:
- This beautiful Walking stick cane makes for a very thoughtful gift.
- The staff is Made from the finest Indian Rosewood and a Brass handle with rubber at the bottom for better grip
- All walking sticks are compatible with all handles
- All work is Hand Made & Handcrafted Item
- This stylish collectible hardwood walking stick is a timeless fashionable accessory for any era.
It should be noted that this product doesn’t actually mention whether or not it is a decorative or a weight-bearing cane. Although the cane is very attractive, customers should confirm with manufacturers whether or not the 3-fold shaft is sturdy enough for regular use.
Wood varies in color, grain, and density from solid oak to pine wood. Some online stores will share details about the wood used in the cane design. For others, customers are left to do independent searches on wood. Canes that are made of hardwood like oak are more durable and can tolerate weight. Other exotic hardwoods include Eucalyptus wood and Black Sheesham wood. On the downside, hardwood is heavier and less convenient for travel purposes. Canes that are made from very soft woods like pine are usually meant for decorative purposes only.
- Dimensions:- 37 inch
- Handcarved out of Indian Rosewood & Decorated with Brass Handles.
- This sturdy walking cane is sure to be a conversation piece at your next event or fun gathering.
- Horse Head Shaped Heavy Brass Handle.
- Even if kept casually in a corner, these sticks add class in the ambiance.
In conclusion, wooden canes are just as feasible for regular use as metal canes. The product itself can be reliable if it is used for its intended purpose. Such purposes that can make or break the cane includes indoor versus outdoor use, decorative versus weight-bearing use, hardwood versus softwood, and transport use. Any specific questions regarding medical use and height measurements should be taken to a physical therapist who is specialized in making cane assessments.